ooops! My assumptions
- Improve health
- Be free of nicotine
- Be free of the planning and finding time to smoke
- Save money – perhaps
- Let go of the habit
- Be proud to be able to choose to quit
Then I slowly realised what the experts were saying “no smoke” therefore helps you quit “smoking”. Then I thought what smart marketing!
Then on to the 5 things to seriously consider:
- There is liquid nicotine in e-cigarettes. This is the way they differ from cigarettes. With cigarettes the nicotine is delivered through burning the tobacco and making it inhalable. Whereas with e-cigarettes the liquid nicotine is heatedd by a battery and delivered through vaporisation. However something you might not know is liquid nicotine is highly toxic and very small doses of liquid nicotine can kill. Just a small teaspoon is enough to poison a child and sadly these poisoning are on the rise.
- Where does nicotine come from? Tobacco companies realised governments are making it more and more difficult to smoke cigarettes. In the now distant past it was fashionable, even seen as being sophisticated but that was before we learnt about the downside of smoking. So tobacco revenues were falling and something needed to be innovated to maintain the revenue stream. Voila, electronic cigarettes.
- Are there associated health risks? Because e-cigarettes are still so new there has not been enough time for historical data to be built up. But already some research is showing unhealthy changes to lungs and airways with diminished lung capacity. These changes are similar to those observed from tobacco smoke.
- One of the reasons I said it was smart marketing at the beginning of this post is because these products maintain the habit element of inhaling nicotine. Of taking something out of your pocket or bag, putting it in your mouth and sucking on it. By maintaining the habit element of smoking, which is often almost unconscious makes it less easy to give up smoking and become a non-smoker and free from nicotine
- Finally a cigarette is a finite length where as the only thing to stop you sucking on the e-equivalent is if the battery or the liquid nicotine runs out, so you can end up ingesting a lot more nicotine than you thought.
I know, you know what you want to achieve and these are simply my thoughts. If you really want to quit the nicotine habit just consider these thoughts and decide for yourself. After all you are the only one who can.